Grover Cleveland was both the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, being the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms.
Cleveland was a Democrat, but in those days, conservative Democrats, or Bourbon Democrats like Cleveland dominated the party. He didn't really do anything. By the end of his term, he was unpopular because he completely ignored an economic depression. He believed in laissez-faire economics, which didn't work very well.
Pros & Cons
- Had a reputation for honesty
- Anti-corruption in government
- Gave Native Americans their citizenship
- Successful teacher, lawyer, sheriff, mayor and governor prior to becoming President
- Passed the Scott Act
- Mishandled the Panic of 1893
- Instituted martial law during the Pullman Railroad Strikes