James K. Polk was the 11th President of the United States. He served as president between 1845 and 1849. He was a Democrat, which, at the time, meant "conservative". His conservatism was evident in that he was from the South, supported the evil Slavery, and went to war with Mexico, the later of which is eerily similar to what modern neocons want to do. Also, he killed Native Americans in order to claim the territory of modern-day Oregon. Oregon has since apologized for this, and wants nothing to do with this president who annexed the area.
Pros & Cons
- Negotiated the Canadian border dispute with England
- Fixed the Treasury situation
- Added multiple states to the union: Texas, Iowa and Wisconsin
- Caused the Mexican-American War due to terrible negotiations over his attempt to purchase California!
- Declared war on Mexico under false pretenses!?
- Very pro-slavery
- Was an Andrew Jackson groupie