James K. Polk was the 11th President of the United States. He served as president between 1845 and 1849. He was a Democrat, which, at the time, meant "conservative". His conservatism was evident since he was from the South, supported the evil Slavery, and went to war with Mexico, the later of which is eerily similar to what modern neocons want to do. Also, he killed Native Americans in order to claim the territory of modern-day Oregon. Oregon has since apologized for this, and wants nothing to do with this president who annexed the area and Texas, though John Tyler was credited for annexing Texas.
On the bright side, he accomplished his four goals, such as serving only one term.
Pros & Cons
- Only president who was previously the Speaker of the House
- Negotiated the Canadian border dispute with England
- Smithsonian Institution and Department of Interior were each established during his presidency
- Fixed the Treasury situation
- Added multiple states to the union: Texas, Iowa and Wisconsin
- Ran on the goal of only having one term.
- Lowered taxes that led to increase the Anglo-American trade
- Added multiple states to the union: Texas, Iowa and Wisconsin – as well as gaining a large chunk of territory from Mexico
- Tax reduction
- Annexed Texas as a slave state
- Manifest Destiny
- Oregon Treaty
- Caused the Mexican-American War due to terrible negotiations over his attempt to purchase California!
- Declared war on Mexico under false pretenses
- Very pro-slavery and supported Andrew Jackson