|Education:||College of William and Mary|
|Born||April 28, 1758|
|Died||July 4, 1831 (aged 73)|
James Monroe was the fifth President of the United States. He served during the Era of Good Feelings and was the second and last president to win reelection without serious opposition. He was the last President of the so-called Virginia dynasty and the last of the Revolutionary generation.
Monroe served in the Revolution as a Colonel, serving under George Washington.
Pros & Cons
- Founding Father
- Ushered in ‘The Era of Good Feelings’
- Under his administration, the nation grew from 19-24 states
- Served under George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
- US Confederated Congress
- Helped negotiate the Louisiana Purchase
- Monroe Doctrine
- Missouri Compromise
- Treaty of 1818 to resolve border issues between America and the U.K.
- Purchased Florida